Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable...

Today in class our discussion was a real challenge for me. I couldn't even speak up in class because I couldn't find the words to express what I was feeling. I heard a lot of views that I didn't agree with and felt an actual flash of extreme annoyance. I had to check myself because people are entitled to their opinions and beliefs no matter how much it conflicts with mine. I also like to think of myself as being a person who can hold my own views and accept the views of others without passing any judgments because I know, and accept, that we aren't all going to see things the same way.

Now, talking about gay men and lesbians didn't phase me in the least because I am comfortable around that group, have friends in that group, and sympathize with that group, and today I actually was in a place where the majority of people held an unfavorable view of them and that was a totally new experience to me. I kind of felt like the Filipino counselor in the story that we read. If only they would have a conversation with them and get to know them as a person then maybe...

I was absolutely shocked today at some of the responses from my fellow Christian classmates. I don't mean to offend anyone but the disgust that was on the faces of some people as they talked about gay people was appalling to me. Aren't we called to love no matter what? But to say that you could never even talk to someone gay because of what you believe is ridiculously unChristlike. I also see the other side of the coin. I was raised around gay people, some of my closest friends are gay, so it isn't a problem for me. Someone who wasn't raised that way can feel the exact opposite from what I feel about the subject. I just feel that if Jesus ate with the sinners. Tax collectors. Prostitutes. Murderers. I'm sure He'd sit with the gay community.

I hope this is not coming off as being judgmental. That's the last thing I want. Or maybe it's being completely judgmental. I have no idea! But, I'm sure, at the end of this class I'll know. This class is all about taking a good look at ourselves and discovering our biases and prejudices and attempting to change or not. I applaud everyones honesty in the class and hope that everyone will remain to be as open and honest as they were today.

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry if anything that I said was in anyway offensive to you. That was certainly not my intent to do so. I personally do not have a problem with homosexuals. I have been blessed and gifted to love people in spite of their lifestyles. Amen, to Jesus spending time with everyone. I have a sister who is a lesbian, and I cherish her. And while I do not support her lifestyle, I support her in any other way that I can. My only point was that I cannot uphold what I do not feel is right in the sight of God. I feel that would make me a hypocrite. And while I am always willing to help anyone in whatever ways are needed, I hope that they would never ask me to help them with their relationship, because I would honestly have to decline.

 
At February 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Blogger SWK 254 Understanding Diversity said...

:-)
I wasn't offended. I was just shocked to hear views so different from mine. It was an eye opener. I absolutely agree with your view, as it so happens, I could not help fix up a homosexual relationship because, of course, we believe they shouldn't exist. Again, no offense was taken!
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home